Sunday, February 14, 2010

Trying Something New

This past week, I worked on making my earrings more unique by using the beads as a canvas for my own art. I have a few square, black, stone beads that I thought would be perfect for this project. I decided to find a design to paint on them with thin, white paint strokes. I haven't completed it yet, but I've gotten most of the work done. I decided that I wanted to have some sort of simple, nature design on the beads. I really liked the idea of something to do with trees, so I searched different designs for tree roots. I found one that I liked and used it as a guide to draw my own tree roots onto the stones. I'm not much of an artist when it comes to drawing so I was hoping not to ruin the beads with my scribbles. I used light pencil marks to draw out the design I wanted and was actually quite pleased with the outcome.

This part of my project correlates well with what we've been discussing in class about the idea of romanticism. My inspiration for the earrings came from nature and the simplistic beauty of bare tree branches in the winter. As with many things from the romantic period, the design is based on nature and its simplicity. I'd thought of the idea for the earrings before we started this section, but they just so happened to go hand in hand.

For next week, I'm going to break out my paint & try my hand at filling in the design. I'll put up pictures next week, since this week was sort of hard to photograph due to the pencil marks not showing up in the pictures. I'm excited to paint over the pencil lines & see the project come together.

1 comment:

  1. Your earrings look really good so far. I think using a pattern of bare tree branches will turn out awesome. As much as I hate the cold, it's nice to find something to appreciate about winter. You've done this and are turning it into something useful. I'm sure they'll look great when they're finished. I don't know if you'll be making similar size beads all semester, but one thing you might be interested in looking into is making small beads and using string instead of wire to attach them to the hooks. This way, you can easily make hoops or other various types of earrings, rather than always doing the straight pins (I think theyre called head pins?). If you want more info on this, I can find what I have and send you some/let you borrow a book if I have one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete