Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Technique

This week, I made a pair of earrings using string instead of head pins. Doing this allowed me to create a different shape with the beads rather then just having them hang straight down on a pin. I liked this technique a lot because I was able to mess around with the shape and try lots of different options before committing to one design. This is what the finished product turned out like:





Early this week I went to the mall and was looking at different earrings for sale in the stores. I got to thinking about craft & marketing & its relation to the book Cheap, by Ellen Ruppel Shell. Now that I'm able to make my own earrings, I like the fact that I know what goes into their production. When it comes to buying products from stores, you don't have the knowledge regarding the quality of materials used, the care put into the product, or even the conditions surrounding the labor. I may have to put a little more money into making the earrings myself, but I at least have the satisfaction of knowing that they were made with quality, care, and are meant to last.

For next week, I'm going to continue to use up some of the beads I have and try to come up with new types of techniques or styles that I can use.

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is cool that you were able to figure out a way to make you earrings into different shapes and designs. They look really good. Also, I find it interesting that you are now able to appreciate earrings and other jewelry in stores, because you know how hard it is to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this pair of earrings are awesome! I really like the shape! I love how that you are being creative and not just making hte same type of earring with different beads. It shows you must have really put a lot of time inot these.

    ReplyDelete