Sunday, March 7, 2010

Paper beads

Earlier this week I found instructions on how to make paper beads online. They seemed really easy to make. All you have to do is cut the paper you want to use into a triangle. The width and length of the triangle determines how long the earring is, and how wide around it is. Usually these beads are made out of magazine paper, but I decided that I wanted to try using a page out of an old book I have. The book itself is from the 1920's, so the pages look aged. They also, as I found out, are not that easy to roll without tearing. After I got them started a bit, it became easier to roll and keep the paper taught. I really like the way the beads turned out =).










^ the triangle of paper I started with










^ I used a head pin to roll it on













^ the finished beads













^ the completed earrings

I liked being able to use materials I had laying around my room in a project that I can wear and use. It tied in well with what we've been talking about in class about reusing things, being resourceful, and the idea of "Yankee frugality". I was able to turn the page of a book (that I'd probably never read) into a pair of earrings that I can wear whenever I want. I also like that by using available resources, I can save money by not having to go out and buy actual beads to turn into earrings. This gives me the freedom to make a variety of beads for free, while at the same time being environmentally friendly and recyle.

For next week, I'd like to continue to look for other types or beads that I can make out of paper. I want to make one that looks more like a ball rather than the shape that these earrings are, but I just need to find out the shape to cut the paper in to begin with so that it will end up in the shape I want it to. I'd also like to try different papers and see what color combinations I can come up with.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that using the paper allowed you to take something and make it into something else that can be used. I also like that you used the old book pages as the material

    ReplyDelete