Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Little Change

This week, I took a little break from earrings and made another type of craft instead. I've been working on my research paper, which is based on the community art project Postsecret, & was inspired to make my own. I had some bound book pages from an old novel laying around my dorm room, & ive been making my own postsecrets on the pages. I have 6 or 7 pages by now. I was in need of some sort of book cover for the pages so that they wouldn't get ripped or ruined. I found some cardboard in my dorm, cut two pieces to the size of the book. Then I tore a bit of the top layer off of the cardboard to expose some of the corrugated layer. After that, I pasted some old postage stamps that I found onto the cover. For the binding, I took some cheese cloth & soaked it in a cup of coffee to color it. Then I glued it around the edges of the cardboard pieces & stitched them together. The outcome was this:










After researching and reading so much about Postsecret and it's therapeutic benefits, it was interesting to start my own postsecret book. It really is very calming and relaxing to make my own. I have never sent in my own Postsecret, but there's something to just writing it out, even if no one else ever sees them. I liked getting to experience a bit more of what I've been reading about.

Next week, I plan on getting back to the earrings and using up the other beads that I have left over.

p.s. sorry for the layout of this blog, for some reason it won't let me position the pictures any other way

2 comments:

  1. Tessa, I think it is great that you made your own post secret book! I love that book and never thought about making my own, but now that I think about it and have read your blog I now realize how simple it could be. Keep up the great work and cant wait to see the new earrings you make next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa, I think that it is great that you have been so inspired by your research project that you made your own post secret book. I am doing my research paper on craft activism, mostly in the form of knitting, and I know that it has inspired me as well. I think that you have made something that you can be proud of. Great work!

    ReplyDelete